The Junior Department is on the first floor of Cherry Hinton Hall looking out over the beautiful park grounds that surround it below. Every classroom is named after a sea, allowing the children to feel a sense of belonging and to further incorporate the international role of our school.
We have five classes in this department: Aral: Year 3, Ages 7-8, Aegean: Year 4, Ages 8-9, Adriatic: Year 5, Ages 9-10, and two Year 6 classes, Arctic and Arabian, Ages 10-11. The five classes work closely together to share their learning and to develop a warm collaboration within the department itself.
We encourage teaching and learning in and outside of the classroom environment. We are able to make excellent use of the surrounding park and the children greatly enjoy being out in the fresh air. A great highlight of the year for many of the children (and teachers!) is the school trip to either Mepal Outdoor Centre or PGL Adventure. The children take on new and exciting challenges, and develop their team-building skills in a new surrounding that is away from their usual classroom environment.
Other highlights of the school year for the Juniors include:
- End of Topic Presentations – children present/perform their termly learning to parents.
- End of Year Performance (this year it was the successful ‘The Lemonade Kid’)
- Mad Science Workshops – Outside professionals including Atomic Annie carry out fun practical demonstrations to engage the children in the fascinating world of Science!
- Junior Choir – All five classes come together once a week for this.
- Buddies – Children are paired with a child from the Infant Department to join them once a week to look after them and to take on fun planned activities together.
- Charity Bake Sales – Each class prepares their own bake sale twice during the school year.
- School Trips – Several school trips take place during the year that link to the current IPC topics.
The Junior Department work closely together to ensure that all children have a gratifying and successful year.